The cultural and community celebration features dining deals, sales and promotions, special events, family-friendly festivals, giveaways and more
The West Vernor & Springwells Business Improvement District (BID) is once again proud to present “Cinco de Mayo Week” in Southwest Detroit, beginning Wednesday, May 1 through Sunday, May 5. “Cinco de Mayo Week” is supported by the Southwest Detroit Business Association and its business membership.
The week’s festivities feature – discounts and promotions by area businesses, special events, family-friendly festivals and activities, fun giveaways and more – that are intended to raise awareness about one of the city’s most culturally diverse communities.
- May 1 – 5: Murals & Art Installations Tour
- Take a Selfie at any one of the 16 selected community murals & art installations, use #CincoSWDet and Enter to Win FREE Gift Certificates to local merchants, specialty retailers, mercados and stores
- Thur., May 2: Dulce (Sweet) Thursday
- A chance to learn more about and enjoy authentic Mexican baked goods, sweet desserts and delicious treats
- Fri., May 3: Taco Tour & Tequila Crawl
- A total of 16 authentic Mexican restaurants and taquerias – located along four different recommended routes – will be featured during a self-guided Taco Tour & Tequila Crawl.
- Sat., May 4: “Shopping Saturday”
- Customer promotions, sales and discounts at area retailers, merchants and specialty shops; customer sales, promotions and hours of operation will vary by participating businesses
- Sat., May 4 & May 5: Cinco de Mayo Fiesta presented by the Mexican Patriotic Committee of Metro Detroit
- Located at 21st Street between Bagley Ave. and W. Vernor Hwy., the event will feature delicious authentic, Mexican food, artwork by area artists, live cultural performances and much more
- Sun., May 5: The 55th Annual Cinco de Mayo Parade presented by the Mexican Patriotic Committee of Metro Detroit
- The nearly three-mile parade will begin at Central Ave. and W. Vernor Hwy., traveling east to 23rd St., and will feature more than 50 local groups, nonprofit organizations, businesses and schools
- Sun., May 5: The Cinco de Mayo Fiesta & Mercado at Clark Park presented by Grahams Rainbows Blessing Hands .
- The family-friendly event features a variety of kids games and activities, FREE food and beverages, and much more
- May 1 – 5: Murals & Art Installations Tour
For a list of member businesses in the Southwest Detroit area, please click on the association links below.
May 1 – 5: Win FREE Gift Certificates by Visiting Local Murals & Art Installations
Winners will be drawn on Tuesday, May 7, following the conclusion of “Cinco de Mayo Week” in Southwest Detroit. Participants can enter more than once, but are limited to one entry per community mural and public art location. Last year, nearly 50 gift certificates were awarded to “Cinco de Mayo Week” in Southwest Detroit participants.
Thur., May 2: Dulce (Sweet) Thursday
It’s a celebration of all things sweet and delicious in Southwest Detroit! The promotion features many wonderful bakeries, mercados and sweet shops located throughout the area. Shoppers can purchase a number of affordable baked goods and treats like pan dulce (Mexican sweet bread), delicious cakes, desserts and other treats. Participants are encouraged to visit any of the BID- and SDBA-member bakeries, mercados and sweet shops to learn more about and enjoy authentic and delicious Mexican treats. Special customer promotions, sales and offers will vary by participating business.
Fri., May 3: #CincoSWDet Taco Tour & Tequila Crawl
On Friday, May 3, “Cinco de Mayo Week” adults (21+) are encouraged to take a Taco Tour & Tequila Crawl featuring 16 authentic Mexican restaurants and taquerias along four different recommended routes. The self-guided tour will be held from 6 p.m. to midnight. There is no cost to participate in the tour. Each participant is responsible for all costs associated with their food and beverage orders.
In addition to tacos and other traditional Mexican food, participants also can enjoy signature drinks, specialty margaritas, imported Mexican beers and fine selections of tequila at various restaurants. All Taco Tour & Tequila Crawl participating restaurants and taquerias are member businesses of the West Vernor & Springwells Business Improvement District (BID) and the Southwest Detroit Business Association (SDBA).
2019 TACO TOUR & TEQUILA CRAWL TOUR LIST:
Patton Park Area Tour
- Mariscos El Salpicon, 8600 W. Vernor Hwy. – (313) 914-2214
- La Terraza, 8445 W. Vernor Hwy. – (313) 843-1433
- La Posada, 1930 Springwells St. – (313) 841-1690
- El Asador Steakhouse, 1312 Springwells St. / Reservations Recommended – (313) 297-2360
Central Ave. Area Tour
- Taqueria Nuestra Familia, 7620 W. Vernor Hwy. – (313) 842-5668
- El Nacimiento Restaurant, 7400 W. Vernor Hwy. – (313) 554-1790
- Los Altos Taqueria, 7056 W. Vernor Hwy. – (313) 841-3109
Saint Hedwig Park Area Tour
- El Rancho, 5900 W. Vernor Hwy. – (313) 843-2151
- Los Corrales, 2244 Junction Ave. – (313) 849-3196
- El Barzon, 3710 Junction Ave. / Reservations Recommended – (313) 894-2070
- La Rosita, 7849 McGraw St. – (313) 297-3145
Clark Park Area Tour
- El Palenque Restaurant, 5426 W. Vernor Hwy. – (313) 849-1319
- Taqueria El Rey, 4730 W. Vernor Hwy. / Cash-Only – (313) 357-3094
- Armando’s Mexican Restaurant, 4242 W. Vernor Hwy. – (313) 554-0666
- Los Galanes Mexican Restaurant, 3362 Bagley St. – (313) 554-4444
- Peso Bar, 2547 Bagley St. –(313) 974-6197
ENTER TO WIN: Participants who post a selfie while visiting a participating restaurant to Facebook, Twitter and Instagram using the hashtag #CincoSWDet will be entered to win gift certificates to area stores, merchants and businesses. That’s right! You get a chance to win a gift certificate for simply enjoying delicious, authentic Mexican food. Nearly 50 gift certificates were given away to 2018.
Please find four suggested routes below with different Mexican restaurants and taquerias identified within each route. Since this is a self-guided tour, YOU get to decide how few or how many authentic Mexican restaurants and taquerias you want to visit along your route. For your convenience, you also can start and stop where you choose.
NOTE: There is absolutely NO COST TO PARTICIPATE. The only rule – have fun and enjoy the food and beverages. Each participant is responsible for all costs associated with their food and beverage orders.
Sat., May 4: “Shopping Saturday” Saturday
On Saturday, May 4, the focus will be on the great savings and deals that can be found while shopping among the hundreds of participating local merchants, including mercados, bakeries, meat markets, retailers and specialty stores. Shoppers can find a variety of affordable merchandise such as cowboy boots, baptismal gowns, hand-sewn dresses, Mexican pottery, beautiful jewelry and brand-name furniture, among many other items. Fresh produce and traditional cooking ingredients are bountiful and include freshly made tortillas, baked good, and specialty cuts of seasoned meats.
The Shopping Saturday focus will be on the great shopping options available in Southwest Detroit. Customer sales, special promotions and hours of operation will vary by participating business.
Sat., May 4 & Sun., May 5: Cinco de Mayo Fiesta presented by the Mexican Patriotic Committee of Metro Detroit
The Fiesta will be held from noon to 7 p.m. on Saturday and 1 to 6 p.m. on Sunday, and is located at 21st Street between Bagley Ave. and W. Vernor Hwy. The event will feature artwork from local and national artists, a number of food trucks featuring authentic Mexican food, among other delicious food offerings, and goods and merchandise from local vendors and businesses. Attendees also will enjoy live music and special cultural performances throughout each day.
Sun., May 5: The 55th Annual Cinco de Mayo Parade presented by the Mexican Patriotic Committee of Metro Detroit
The parade begins at noon with a new starting and ending location from W. Vernor Hwy. and Central Ave., heading east to W. Vernor Hwy. and 23rdSt. This year’s grand marshal for the parade is Hacienda Mexican Foods owner Lydia Gutierrez. The parade will be led by the Detroit Police Department Equestrian Squad and the Western International High School ROTC, and will feature more than 50 local community organizations, nonprofits and businesses.
Sun., May 5: The Cinco de Mayo Fiesta and Mercado at Clark Park presented by Grahams Rainbows Blessing Hands
The event will be held from 2 to 6 p.m. at Clark Park and will include family-friendly activities such as a bouncy house and slide, petting zoo and exotic petting zoo. There also will be clowns, face-painters and special characters who can be found throughout the day. Attendees will enjoy a variety of food and beverages available FREE of charge.
Last modified: April 26, 2019